PTG173 – Pumpkin Spice Grab Bag

Phil and Senda answer your questions about RPGs from two different perspectives — with some panda silliness!
EpisodeBot

PTG173 – Pumpkin Spice Grab Bag

Post by EpisodeBot »

Phil and Senda answer three listener questions in quick succession! We talk co-GMing, adding drama/relationships/bonds to more traditional RPGs, and recycling your content and ideas. Also, one hit wonders Definitely Leopard and their short lived career, the state of Senda’s air conditioning, and...

Read more
Emmett

Re: PTG173 – Pumpkin Spice Grab Bag

Post by Emmett »

On co-GMing, I've done this several times. The important thing is, like was said, a good division of labor.

Usually, a first time GM is afraid that they lack system mastery or they don't feel like they can juggle the 8 skills all at once.

What the co-GM is there to do in that case is to be tech support. You're in charge of looking up stats for the new GM to use, getting rules ready when they need it, maybe helping with making a ruling when they don't know what to do.

It's almost like being able to have your own Google just for the game.
zircher

Post by zircher »

Exactly. I've also worn the 'battle DM' hat when we used to have large games with 8+ PC and large monster skirmishes. On more than a few occasions, I was also NPC #2. Handy when the players were listening in or spying and the DM did not want to talk to themselves.
Last edited by zircher on Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

What about co-GMing where one person is running the game and another is just the Rules Person?

I have a friend who does that. He has his plot and character stats and relies on the table to get the rules right, often asking one of the playing GMs to interpret the rulings.
Senda

Post by Senda »

This is literally what I did to Andi without us really understanding that's what we were doing -- that's how I got away with not reading the books for 4e XD
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!

Return to “Panda's Talking Games”