PTG167 – The Ditch Lilies Part 2

Phil and Senda answer your questions about RPGs from two different perspectives — with some panda silliness!
EpisodeBot

Post by EpisodeBot »

Show us how you reward the behavior you want to see in your game — mechanically! Phil and Senda brainstorm live about how to answer the third of Jared’s questions as it pertains to the Ditch Lilies Road Tour. Also, Phil got new headphones.
CSStrat

Re: PTG167 – The Ditch Lilies Part 2

Post by CSStrat »

I know the Ditch Lillie’s prime years took place in the grunge 90s scene. Will this be part of the game? And if so will there be mechanics to reflect that?
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

There will be a set of mechanics for how the band uses songs to affect change. We have ideas for songs that would have certain effects, like a Song of Charity, or a Song of Romance, that the band would use during their Gig to affect what is going on. When the band picks a song like that, they will then have to name the song and describe it, to the genre of music they are playing.

But as not to pin the game too tightly to one type of music, the game will say that, much like the real Ditch Lilies, the band goes through different phases and sounds, and when you start the game, you decide what phase the band is in. So if you want the ladies to be full grunge, you can set that, or they could be going through their Ska, Contemporary Swing, Lilith Fair, etc. The type of music you pick will flavor the game, but at this time won't alter the mechanics.

BTW if you want another awesome game of bands using music to fight the world, check out Rockalypse by Eric Simon. (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/204869/Rockalypse)
CSStrat

Post by CSStrat »

Great ideas! I like the idea of not tethering the group to a certain genre.

Mentioning Lilith Fair reminded me about a thought I had about a campaign mode where the band travels with a festival and maybe one or more of the other bands are a constant cause of trouble or even a nemesis to the Lillies.

Idk I listen to your awesome show and the ideas flow.
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

A festival has to come up in the game somewhere.

Rival bands seem like that could come about as well.

We may do another episode about the game in a few weeks when more of the game is together.
CSStrat

Post by CSStrat »

I look forward to every episode.

Just thought with a festival they’d be touring city to city by default.

There would be a clock for each venue. They have only a few days (or maybe 1 day) to solve whatever challenge they face in that concurrent location.
zircher

Post by zircher »

Love the direction this is going and looking forward to more game development chat.
--
TAZ
Senda

Post by Senda »

It's super good so far! Can't wait to start playtesting.
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!

Return to “Panda's Talking Games”