S1E15 - If Wishes Were Horses

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S1E15 - If Wishes Were Horses

Post by dnaphil »

I selected this episode because it introduces an important symbol into the series, Sisko's baseball.

This episode is a bit weird. It goes the route of a holo-deck accident, then looks like a space anomaly, but in the end, it winds up being a first contact episode. The idea of people's imaginations running wild is amusing but through Julian we see how it could be highly embarrassing. Ultimately Sisko figures out what is going on and at the end of the episode, Buck Bokai gives Sisko a baseball.

As we go through the series, keep your eye out for the baseball. It appears in the background a number of times, and a few times will wind up being an important symbol.
RobAbrazado
Site Admin

Re: S1E15 - If Wishes Were Horses

Post by RobAbrazado »

Ha! I appreciate this. I haven't been keeping up with the DS9 Watch Club here in the early seasons, so I've just been going by memory, and I recall being not really enthused about this episode. BUT I did totally forget that this was the introduction of the baseball, so that's pretty big! :D
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
Support Misdirected Mark Productions on Patreon!
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

This was a strange episode, and I'm not sure it landed for me, but I appreciate that it helped reinforce Sisko's love of baseball, and the physical manifestation of such.
RobAbrazado
Site Admin

Post by RobAbrazado »

I just remembered something...I saw a recording of an interview or a con appearance or some such where Colm Meaney said that originally "Rumpelstiltskin" was meant to be a leprechaun instead, but when he (Meaney) first saw the script he was basically, like, "Really? A leprechaun, you assholes?" so they changed it. :lol:
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
Support Misdirected Mark Productions on Patreon!
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

That is awesome. Yeah, that really felt like they so wanted to use a leprechaun the way they framed all of those scenes.

Return to “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Watch Club”