S2E12 - The Alternate

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and join for weekly watch parties!
Jared Rascher

S2E12 - The Alternate

Post by Jared Rascher »

I really like the idea that Ferengi sell collectible pieces of other Ferengi when they die. I don't know why, but it's amusing and fitting, and also maybe a little bit of a cynical mirror of reliquaries.

As for the overall story itself, while it was interesting to get more details about Odo, and to have some of them build on what we learned in Necessary Evil, there were some things that felt odd in this episode.

Several times characters touch one of the obelisks, as if the obelisk is part of the overall mystery. Mora's analysis of what was happening to Odo felt so overplayed, I really thought it should have been a clue to it being a red herring, but its not, he's just that intense and less empathetic than he was excited to be right.

I also don't want to spoil something, but Sisko's comments about this father are . . . strange, given future episodes.
RobAbrazado
Site Admin

Re: S2E12 - The Alternate

Post by RobAbrazado »

Jared Rascher wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:25 pm Several times characters touch one of the obelisks, as if the obelisk is part of the overall mystery.
The obelisk is by far the weirdest part of this episode for me. As you say, it feels like it gets centered a lot, but it seems to serve zero purpose, even just story purpose. Its oddness starts right from the get-go...we're just gonna...beam this whole shit back for study and loot these ruins?! Like, can't we just...take a picture? And later there's that scene where Odo is like "Didn't this used to be over there?" and Dax goes "I moved it." AND THAT'S IT. Like...I got the feeling, as I think you did, Jared, that it was supposed to be a misdirect or something, but just...didn't do it and never paid off?

Why is obelisk?!
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
Support Misdirected Mark Productions on Patreon!
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

I included this episode because it introduces Dr. Mora and reveals some early history to Odo.

The story is a bit wonky, as mentioned above, and it really is more about the father-son relationship of Odo and Mora.
It's a science mystery that wraps up in just the right amount of time.

But really, I think what is more compelling is the very realistic parental relationship Odo and Mora have. Odo is very defensive and stand off-ish, while Mora is so proud of Odo. It feels quite real. We are going to see more of this relationship in a future episode.
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

Yes, the Obelisk was a Red Herring.

But by now "bring the unknown artifact/tech onto the ship/station without any precautions" is a tried and true Star Trek Trope.

I notice it, but I accept it.
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

I also realized the music. It was slightly off from both Raiders of the Lost Ark and several horror movies.

Really well done to fit the story and did a good job of setting the tone.

Return to “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Watch Club”