S2E20 and 21 - The Maquis

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S2E20 and 21 - The Maquis

Post by dnaphil »

I picked these episodes because they introduce the Maquis a group that will occupy the next few seasons of the show. In addition, it helps to conclude the Ensign Ro storyline, and kicks off Voyager.

These episodes show that that Starfleet does not have everything under control. On the edges of the Federation, things are not as much of a utopia. This episode has a number of great twists and has several great character interactions.

We get to see Sisko deal with the defection of his good friend Cmd. Hudson, and teaming up with Gul Dukat. What great juxtaposition.

One of the jems in these episodes is the jail cell chat between Quark and Sakonna, where Quark, using the Rules of Acquisition, out logics a Vulcan. It's a brilliant set of dialog, and again shows just how shrewd Quark is.

Another stand out performance is Gul Dukat. You really see what a force of presence he is, when he is captured and berates his captors at their lack of skill in interrogating him. Then later with the freighter captain, "I am not just any Cardassian. I am Gul Dukat!" I love Marc Alaimo's acting. His screen presence is so potent in every scene he is in.

In the end, nothing really resolves. The immediate problem is solved, but the Marquis is not going anywhere, for some time.
Jared Rascher

Re: S2E20 and 21 - The Maquis

Post by Jared Rascher »

Gul Dukat was such a great recurring character, and I loved all the ways they managed to put in both in opposition to, and allied to, the DS9 crew. He is so good at being both deeper than he seems, and way more devious or dangerous.

Return to “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Watch Club”