S2E22 - The Wire

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S2E22 - The Wire

Post by dnaphil »

I selected this episode because this may be the closest anyone ever gets to Garak's background. I also think this is one of the better episodes of the series.

This episode, Garak collapses from the overuse of a unique implant that he has; one that turns pain into pleasure. Garak has been running the implant as a way to ease the pain of his exile.

Julian, out of his friendship and out of professional dedication, decides to get Garak through this ordeal. Along the way, Garak tells Julian several versions of his background, none of those line with each other. We see Garak break down completely and reveal the feelings under his normally cheerful facade. Andrew Robinson, as Garak, delivers great performances in this episode. There are several powerful scenes.

In one of his ramblings, Garak mentions Enabran Tain, the former head of the Obsidian Order the Cardassian Secret Police. Julian travels to meet Tain, in hopes of getting a cure for Garak. Tain agrees to help, only to ensure Garak lives, and suffers more.

This episode warrants a re-watch after you have seen the whole series. It is too early in the series to see how the dots connect. Garak reveals a great deal of himself in this episode but does it in a way, where it is impossible to be sure you know the correct story.

In the end, Garak sums up the episode in his dialog to Julian, while they are at the replamat, in a way that could not be more Garak.

BASHIR: Never mind, don't tell me. I don't want you to spoil the ending. You know, I still have a lot of questions to ask you about your past.
GARAK: I've given you all the answers I'm capable of.
BASHIR: You gave me answers, all right, but they were all different. What I want to know is of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?
GARAK: My dear Doctor, they're all true.
BASHIR: Even the lies?
GARAK: Especially the lies.
GMGERRYMANDER

Re: S2E22 - The Wire

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

Such a good episode. And it shows Bashir as being much more confident and competent.

and Garak is always amazing.
RobAbrazado
Site Admin

Re: S2E22 - The Wire

Post by RobAbrazado »

Such a damn good episode. It's a very...Garak episode. And not just about him, but, like...evokes his essence. Kind of hammy and extra-dramatic. :D But that's our Garak! But, yeah, I can't get over the performance and the story. It's like...even in the grips of his brain dissolving, Garak can't help but obfuscate and misdirect, even in wanting to "reveal" himself to the person he's closest to in exile? I guess? And Robinson portrays an extremely slippery guy in extraordinary pain. Chilling and frustrating all at once.

Plus I also start to get this feel for a common Cardassian personality, sort of centered on Garak but spiralling out from there. I feel like you can map it if you take the common parts of Tain and "Darhe'el" from the "Duet" episode (another smashing ep): there's just this...over-the-top, melodramatic flavor to the characters. Even from Dukat, I halfway get this sense of mustache-twirler, but as if he's doing it on purpose to wind up Sisko and Kira. I once called the Klingons "operatic," so if I stick with that, then I get the feeling Cardassians are like "soap operatic." :D And the pinnacle of this, to me, is Garak acting the fool with Bashir, even experiencing checmical madness and on his deathbed.
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
Support Misdirected Mark Productions on Patreon!

Return to “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Watch Club”