TOS S2E4 - Mirror Mirror

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

TOS S2E4 - Mirror Mirror

Post by dnaphil »

I selected this episode as background for an upcoming DS9 episode.

It has been years since I saw this episode, and it held up much better than I remember. This episode is a transporter accident episode, where the landing party (as they use to be called) are transported to a Mirror universe, where everything is super evil.

The story focuses on Kirk, McCoy, Uhura, and Scotty, navigating the treacherous crew of the ISS Enterprise, and trying to get home. Along the way we see Evil Spock, with the iconic evil beard (this is where the meme about goatees being evil came from, or if you are in South Park, good Cartman has one).

Overall, I enjoyed the episode, but it has a very different feel from DS9, TNG, or other shows of the franchise. There is more than one case of sexism that shows up, and a weirdly telegraphed fight between Lt. Uhura and Lt. Moreau. The whole part of the Captain's woman is a bit cringy. Also, Start Trek fighting has gotten a lot better.

I did enjoy seeing the original crew in their younger years and the so very 60's music for the show.
GMGERRYMANDER

Re: TOS S2E4 - Mirror Mirror

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

I grew up watching TOS and then again in college when it was on cable two or three times a night.

I saw this Episode a lot and loved it. It's still a lot of fun. And I really like the Mirror uniforms.

Also, I like how Kirk just rolls with the problems and deals pretty well with the completely weird situation he finds himself. I now see what I loved in the original series. Kirk is basically a typical Player in an RPG. He just accepts what is happening and makes it up as he goes along.

Return to “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Watch Club”