S3E23 - Family Business

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S3E23 - Family Business

Post by dnaphil »

I selected this episode because it starts off a big arc about the Ferengi culture. It also introduces us to Ishka and Brunt.

Since TNG I have been cringy about Ferengi Culture. I get it's made to be that way, but I have always found their culture to be too much.

This episode shows that not everyone subscribes to this culture, and through Ishka we see the Ferengi feminist.
I love Ishka, she takes no one's BS and she is a shrewd businesswoman.

I do enjoy the duality of the conflict between Ishka and Quark with the underlying love of mother and son. Into this Rom provides great contrast, as someone who is not as blinded by Ferengi culture as Quark is. Rom knows that their father was not a great businessman and the Ishka was always more shrewd.

In the end, it looks like Ishka has given up, only to discover that she hasn't and she never will. This plotline is not even close to being done, and it will come back here and there all the way though the end of the series.
GMGERRYMANDER

Re: S3E23 - Family Business

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

Occasionally cringeworthy. But a great view of Quark's family. Like Phil said, great to see Rom stand up.

And so food to see Andrea Martin again. I always loved her work.

As for Sisko's "Love Interest", this is going to be tough, because I never liked this actress. And not super fond of the character. Might just be the characters she plays.

Hopefully, she'll grow on me.

And everyone on DS9 are meddling gossips and I love all of it.

Return to “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Watch Club”