In-Game Community

Questions and advice about gaming and groups
Blake Ryan Batman

In-Game Community

Post by Blake Ryan Batman »

Gooday

was thinking recently that some of the characters i've enjoyed the most were ones who helped the community

for example i did enjoy some society aiding in Pathfinder, by that I mean I had a few chars who bought and maintained multiple schools, orphanages, granaries, watch towers and archery ranges

was good to make his city/nation better and seeing the change, on top of smiting pesky monsters of course.

Have others done things like this?
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. Lord Alfred Tennyson - Ulysses
Regards,
Blake Ryan
Jared Rascher

Re: In-Game Community

Post by Jared Rascher »

This just reminded me of Three, the half-orc pit fighter I had in a Pathfinder game that donated gold to an orphanage so that they could buy coats for the children, and also played dogdeball with them, to help them to develop their survival skills.
Emmett

Post by Emmett »

Not the same thing, but a lot of my games involve the characters giving communities the chance to escape an advancing threat.
RobAbrazado
Site Admin

Post by RobAbrazado »

I don't guess I've ever really thought about it except in games like H2O where the game is primarily about helping your community. :)

I guess, too, there's a distinction to be made (maybe?) between helping the community versus helping your community. That is...whether the character is a part of the community they're helping or just passing through. To make a complete supposition, I'd guess that it's more common for wandering heroes to be passing through and helping out before moving on. That may just be my own gaming history, though.
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
Support Misdirected Mark Productions on Patreon!
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

I ran a 4 year Mekton Fantasy campaign where the players were more interested in developing a safe haven/town/economy than slaying monsters. Interpersonal encounters, romances, family issues, and partying became staples of the sessions. We had a great time as everyone started a business and then they tried to figure out how to make it work. (Occasional influxes of capital via slaying badguys helped too).

With the right group, this can be a ton of fun.

Return to “Running and Playing Games”