S2E20 - The Emissary

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: The Next Generation and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S2E20 - The Emissary

Post by dnaphil »

I selected this episode because of the introduction of Kaylar.

Once again, this episode has a great episodic structure. It has a main problem, the Klingon Sleeper ship, and then it has a character-based sub-plot. In this case, we see that Worf and Kaylar have some kind of history.

I really enjoy when Worf comes in contact with other Klingons. Worf is our main lens about what a Klingon is, on TNG, but what we see, is that as he interacts with other Kilgons, that there is a lot of diversity and variety in Klingons and their culture. Worf often idealizes the Klingon culture, and in many interactions with other Klingons we see that there is a of of grey space.

A bit of trivia. The actress who plays Kaylar, Suzie Plakson, will later play Marshal's mother in How I Met Your Mother. She is also a Buffalo native.

For those concerned at the end of the episode, Kaylar and Worf's paths are not done crossing one another.
pksullivan

Re: S2E20 - The Emissary

Post by pksullivan »

Re: Worf’s idealized view of Klingon society, I’ve often said that Worf’s favorite logical fallacy is the “No True Klingon” fallacy.
pksullivan

Post by pksullivan »

After seeing Wof’s holodeck calisthenics program, I declare him to absolutely be a D&D nerd.

ETA: did... did they bone in the holodeck?
pksullivan

Post by pksullivan »

Holy bit part, Batman. Diedrich Bader as a junior bridge officer?
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

They totally did it in the Holodeck.
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

I really liked this one.

Kaylar is a great foil to Worf.

Once again though, we see what a tool the Doctor is. (The way she treats Worf in the card game)

My only thought about the Klingon boning, the holodeck terrain was still in good shape, so it couldn;t have been true Klingon lovecraft. :)
pksullivan

Post by pksullivan »

I would like to point out that the terrain on the holodeck isn't real and can't be permanently damaged by appropriately vigorous Klingon mating. It very easily could have been remade after being broken. Sort of how rooms in Zelda games reset if you leave and come back.
JimLikesGames

Post by JimLikesGames »

Meh, Klingons.

Here to remind everyone that Suzie Plakson played the Vulcan doctor Lt. Selar in an earlier episode, The Schizoid Man and she is smoking hot, like pon-far is early this year hot.

Like, 25 years later I remember her half dozen lines and the exact angle of her eyebrow when she sardonically smirks. I think there's something wrong with me.
Jim Crocker
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

Season two is a lot more solid than I remember. I think my mind conflated not liking Pulaski with "not hitting its stride."

Question: Was Pulaski making fun of Worf when she called him handsome? I wouldn't even question this, except for every other insensitive thing she's done this season. If she was saying it ironically . . . wow, Pulaski, really?

I'll admit, when I saw this episode in high school, I had a crush on K'Ehylar. She does an amazing job with facial expressions even with the Klingon makeup.
After seeing Wof’s holodeck calisthenics program, I declare him to absolutely be a D&D nerd.
Level 2 gives all the monsters regeneration.

I also appreciate that asymmetrical striped fuchsia and black workout clothes are canon.

Return to “Star Trek: The Next Generation Watch Club”