S3E16 - The Offspring

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: The Next Generation and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S3E16 - The Offspring

Post by dnaphil »

I selected this because I think it is a great Data story.

To be honest, throughout the series there are a lot of great Data stories, including one more in this week's viewing.

I had not seen this episode in a number of years when I was a much younger and different person.
This episode hit me emotionally...hard. I was choked up at the end of the episode.

We see some linkage to Measure of a Man, in this episode.
Which, for our viewing, seems like a fresh topic, but there is nearly 25 episodes between this one and Measure of a Man.

This story has some great ethical points about artificial life and something we will get to visit again in a future episode.

The last few moments of this episode really got to me.
GMGERRYMANDER

Re: S3E16 - The Offspring

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

WOW

That one was a gut punch. (and an abrupt ending.)

Interesting that this is the second time that Star Fleet has tried to order someone about their persoanl life. (Not as progressive as they like to pretend)

Very well written (though the end was abrupt. )

Loved it.
pksullivan

Post by pksullivan »

This episode Jonathan Frakes’ first directorial credit. What an outing for him, eh? It’s even got Picard’s most gif-able double face-palm.

I noticed something right off that makes me happy: Geordi is sporting two and a half pips, meaning he’s reached the rank of Lt. Commander, and is now an equal to Data (the second officer of the Enterprise) though he doesn’t have the seniority Data does.
pksullivan

Post by pksullivan »

I believe that this may be the earliest example of a muckity muck being distracted on his cellphone during an important meeting ever shown in media. The admiral from Starfleet research keeps playing with his PADD when talking with Lal and Picard.
pksullivan

Post by pksullivan »

Admiral: “I must order you to transport Lal aboard my starship.”
Picard: “Belay that order, Mr. Data.”
Admiral: “I beg your pardon.”
Picard: “I will take this to Starfleet itself.”
Admiral: “I am Starfleet!”

Get fucked, admiral.
JimLikesGames

Post by JimLikesGames »

pksullivan wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:13 am Get fucked, admiral.
Hahah the punchline to at least 2 episodes every season.

And, spoliers and all, but this is the single most important episode to watch to prep for the Picard series, hands-down.
Jim Crocker
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

This is a really great episode, although there are a few cringy moments when discussing gender early on, and some of Troi's commentary about what Lal's form will mean for her socialization are a bit reductive.

Also, wow, was that a different look for an Andorian. This was also before the more nuanced details about Andorians (generally) having four sexes.

I'm starting to think Admiral Hebert in my STA game isn't nearly enough of a jerk.

When Picard starts off the episode, his frustration seems more general towards Data, and Data has a really good point about no one else needing to consult the Captain about having children. But its clear by the end that Picard is really worried about the full ramifications of what Data has done in light of what Starfleet tried to do to him.

It's kind of interesting that we see more Excelsior-class ships still in commission than we do Ambassador-class ships, even though we can assume the Ambassador class is a newer spaceframe.

Also, I should not have watched this after finishing Hamilton, because I think I've hit my emotional quotient for the night. I know Data keeps saying he doesn't have emotions, but I'm pretty sure any other crewmember that lost a child wouldn't be expected to report for duty immediately afterward.
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

This episode is a case where the show tries to be more progressive than the society it is in and it shows.

It's great that Lal is able to choose their gender, which is very progressive, but then only given two genders and that they won't be able to change it, is a sign of the time when it was written. I nickname that 80's progressive.

Return to “Star Trek: The Next Generation Watch Club”