S3E19 - Captain's Holiday

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: The Next Generation and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S3E19 - Captain's Holiday

Post by dnaphil »

This episode was selected primarily for the introduction of Vash, secondarily it introduces the planet Risa.

As episodes go, this one is pretty average for me. I liked it well enough, but it does not make any of my lists for story or plot. It really is one that is needed to set up other episodes.

It's no surprise to me that Riker is all about Risa, and his asking Picard to get him a Horga'hn. It also shows a bit of playfulness between Riker and the often staunch Picard.

The rest of the episode is a cat and mouse game looking for the artifact.

We will see Vash again, in the not too distant future.
pksullivan

Re: S3E19 - Captain's Holiday

Post by pksullivan »

I binged S3-S5 earlier in lockdown so I’m not going to revisit a pretty middling episode but I do like Vash and the introduction of Risa is fun (another TNG hint at how horny Roddenberry and the rest of the Star Trek writers were). I do like that we get to see Picard just being a huge fuckin nerd but nothing else is really compelling here.
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

I like the idea of Picard on a vacation.

How very "90s".

I appreciate the "I just want to read my book" but the Risans are pretty bad at hospitality.

Vash is just a pretty horrible person right from the get go, trying to use sex (the kiss), lies (the discussion), misdirection (the disc), and cheating (stealing Sovak's money) to get whatever she selfishly wants. Picard wants to sleep, and Vash just keeps talking to him. As a result, the kiss seemed completely out of place. She hardly seems like the kind of person he would be attracted to.

And she is the villain of the story...

I love the name Starithium ore though...

I both love and hate the Ferengi. The creepy misogyny is horrible, but the weasley evil of them gives someone that the Federation can rail against. I also love that they adopted the human custom of Hawaiian shirts.

But I love the interactions between Riker, Troi, and Picard. (Especially Troi's rebuke of Riker). And Riker trying to force the Captain's libido with the idol is very much on point.

I'm a little surprised (and disappointed) that Picard didn't have Vash arrested for thievery (the disc) and fraud (staling Sorek's money).
Last edited by GMGERRYMANDER on Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

Rereading your intro, I hope Vash gets her comeuppance when she returns.
JimLikesGames

Post by JimLikesGames »

Risa is so totally awesome that even caverns deep underground that can only be easily reached by transporter have nice, soft lighting that really complements your complexion.

The best thing about this episode is that it inspired a player in my game to make a Captain character who grew up on Risa. It's really fun to see his approach problems with an eye towards hospitality-centered solutions.
Jim Crocker
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

Every so often, I look at the really great makeup on some of the characters, and then look at the costumes they have them wear, and wonder what happened.

Speaking of setting up characters . . . we get a reference to Picard's desire to avoid Lwaxana, but I don't think we've actually seen her on this list so far.

It's amusing seeing Picard waving a fertility idol around when he's having a discussion.

Vash is the reason I wish Bela hadn't been treated the way she was due to fan backlash on Supernatural. Also kind of like Anna Valmont from the Dresden Files.

I also feel completely justified adding -lithium to any prefix I come up with for my Star Trek games. I might even just go with Unoblithium.

Return to “Star Trek: The Next Generation Watch Club”