S1E4 - The Last Outpost

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: The Next Generation and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S1E4 - The Last Outpost

Post by dnaphil »

If you are keeping up with the episodes. This is our second episode, this week. I am going to watch it later today, and share some thoughts tonight.

Feel free to post your thoughts about this episode.
GMGERRYMANDER

Re: S1E4 - The Last Outpost

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

Do you have a time that you are planning to watch?
Senda

Post by Senda »

Kiddo really enjoyed the big ears and the "UGLY HUMAN" repeated over and over. XD
I now know what a ferengi is.
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
pksullivan

Post by pksullivan »

This is so different from the Ferengi as we see them later.
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

Wow. The show is still getting it's rhythm down. The melee with the Ferengi was almost slapstick and the Ferengi themselves were...frantic and mildly disturbing in a Phantom Menace sort of way. This is what I meant though that they didn't let Worf be a tough Klingon.

But the message was good and, while still heavy handed, set the stage for how the Enterprise looked at problems and confrontation.

I forgot how odd the effects were. At the time, having grown up with TOS and Dr. Who, the effects were fine, but compared to later seasons, the lower budget shows. And is part of the nostalgic fun!
pksullivan

Post by pksullivan »

It’s so interesting to see these characters so early in the actors’ terms with them. Riker seems more or less as he always does, though until he grows the beard he’ll just be wee babby Will. Picard has a Francophonic quirk of swearing in French that’s quickly abandoned. Brent Spiner hasn’t really figured out Data’s personality. Geordi is more whoop-whoop excitable than in later seasons. Worf is still basically a Klingon stereotype. I’m looking forward to this rewatch group as we fast-forward through the development.
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

True, the exchange between Geordi and Riker in engineering seemed a little ham-fisted in regards to acting. But it was interesting to see them delegate jobsand rely on their crew.

It was also cool to see the character actors playing the Ferengi. (I expect to see lots of familiar faces under makeup as the series goes on).
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

I'm playing catch up on all of these.

I think the overwhelming thing that strikes me with this episode is that there are a lot of scenes where people are "comfortable" where they seem like the characters they will become, but it feels like anytime there is supposed to be heightened conflict, the melodrama dial goes way up.

I can almost feel the director asking to push the actor outside of what feels natural in those scenes. I almost wonder if people were worried that since science fiction deals with stranger topics, people wouldn't be able to read more subtle, natural gestures and emotional portrayals.

It's also funny to me that Geordi isn't the chief engineer, but he walks down from the bridge and figures out everything IN engineering.

Really glad we eventually got more depth to Worf, and less over the top Ferengi.

Return to “Star Trek: The Next Generation Watch Club”