S5E17 - The Outcast

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: The Next Generation and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S5E17 - The Outcast

Post by dnaphil »

I selected this one because I think it's an interesting story and one of the few Queer stories that TNG covers.

I have some complicated feels about this episode.

On one hand, I was just discovering my own sexuality back in the early 90's, I was always fascinated by this episode, the same way that Queer stories always captured my attention. I never understood it then, but I get it now.

This story has a pretty simple A-plot about the rescuing of some people in a null pocket, but it's really the B-plot (one could argue those are swapped) about Riker and Soren that drives this episode.

I totally felt for Soren as she came out to Riker and have the same memories of testing the waters, with conversations, to see if it was safe to come out to someone. The nervousness, the awkwardness trying to express yourself, and then the feeling of acceptance by someone that you are attracted to. While that is true for all relationships, when you are doing it as the "non-default" sexuality all of those things are heightened.

I legitimately felt the attraction between Riker and Soren and loved their kiss. I was then equally heartbroken when he goes to her quarters to find the other J'nali there waiting for him and Soren was gone.

The trial was powerful for me. I love that Riker tries to take all the blame, but then Soren has enough and comes out. It is an amazing speech about how queer people are no different than straight people, but of course, flipped around because of the J'nali.
The words of the Judge just killed me; about being perverted and needing to be "cured".

While Worf was uncomfortable by Soren when talking about her at the Poker Game, when Riker needed backup, he was there.

The heartbreaker of this episode is the end. When Soren is now "cured" and they say their feelings for Riker were wrong. I was gutted.

For a story in 1992, I think some of the gender issues were a bit clumsy, but I think the queerness of the episode was strong. If this episode was remade today, I think it could have been more nuanced and would have handled gender concepts better.

I am glad to have included this episode for your viewing.

Return to “Star Trek: The Next Generation Watch Club”