S2E19 - Blood Oath

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S2E19 - Blood Oath

Post by dnaphil »

I picked this episode because this is a turning point for Dax in terms of her character growth and development. It is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series, and it introduces Kor the Dahar Master.

For me, this is the episode that takes Dax from the mousy science officer and turns her into a badass. This is the first Dax action story and has a great revenge story, soaked in blood and Klingon honor.

It also expands on what we know Curzon and his close relationship with the Klingons, which will be critical in a few seasons.

As a treat, the actors who played the three old Klingons are from The Old Series.

I love this episode. The idea of the three Klingons and Dax taking revenge on the Albion Klingon is great. It very Kurosawa.

There are two scenes I love in this episode.
The first is when Kor meets Dax. He calls her Curzon and she corrects him that she is Jadiza, and he corrects himself and keeps going. It is likely unintentional, but it has become a bit of a meme regarding Trans folks and others who have changed their names, as an example of how to correct yourself when you accidentally deadname someone.

The other is the scene where Jadiza has cornered the Albino, and you can see her hesitation about killing him, and Kang delivers the killing blow, thanking her for saving the kill for her. There is a moment of relief that she does not have to the be the one to kill him.

Love this episode.
RobAbrazado
Site Admin

Re: S2E19 - Blood Oath

Post by RobAbrazado »

Not much to add; I, too, love this episode. On the surface, it's Klingon-heavy for sure, but I also like to think of it as quite a big Trill episode, too. The Trill symbiont/host lifecycle is such a rich vein to mine for exploring character relationships, and it always turns my head when we wade into that territory on the show. Can I also just say that Jadzia in Klingon Revenge Armor is also just 100% my jam.

My biggest quibble with this one is the tired and problematic "albino" trope, so that's an unfortunate central marring of this otherwise excellent episode.
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
Support Misdirected Mark Productions on Patreon!
RobAbrazado
Site Admin

Post by RobAbrazado »

"How did you get in here?"

"I am Koloth."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"Yes. It does."
Oh my GOD. :D
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
Support Misdirected Mark Productions on Patreon!
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

That bit of dialog is about the most Fate thing I have ever heard.
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

I feel bad that when I first saw this episode way back when, I didn't put together that the Klingons were recurring characters from TOS.

I love that they managed to build on all of this backstory with Dax moving forward.

Definitely agree with Rob about the albino trope.

Return to “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Watch Club”