New Topic Ideas

Phil and Senda answer your questions about RPGs from two different perspectives — with some panda silliness!
Senda

Re: New Topic Ideas

Post by Senda »

Awwwww THANK YOU!! It's been a pleasure! ...aaaand we also kinda just use this space as a secondary list these days for topics sooo XD
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

OK, this is more of a player question.

How do you get yourself re-invested in a campaign (or, I guess a one shot) when some of the excitement has gone out? Everyone else seems to be having a good time, but you are just not jelling. The NPCs aren't interesting to interact with. The hooks don't feel compelling to you. The non XP rewards aren't motivating you.
Rolistespod

Post by Rolistespod »

Not as much a question as a suggestion for almost a whole series but I'd really be interested in advice aimed at players.

I mean there's often good nuggets relevant to players but I find advice (not just at MMP) is 99% aimed at GMs.

Actually that raises a question.

How to get advice across to players when you are a GM who listen/read to online resources but your players are not available or interested in consulting those resources themselves?

I am afraid I'm come across as pedantic or they might feel threatened in their agency if I started to say "that's how you should do it".

Also "leading through example" as proven not enough. ;)

Maybe I need to play with more proactive individuals.
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

That's a common issue. Players often don't have the same perspective on gamign as GMS, because they are doing much less prep time and are not there to "entertain" the whole group the way a GM is.

And some players don't like podcasts about gaming.

I would recommend taking one podcast and recommending it and then doing a "session zero" (Or session 35.0 if you are in the middle of a campaign) to discuss what came up.

Or find a podcast that addresses an issue that one or more players has expressed interest in.
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

Player advice is something that I have always found interesting.

I think that it might be fun to do a few MMP shows on being a good player.
We have been trying to add some of the player perspectives to the MMP discussion portion of the main segment, and Panda's will sometimes do Player vs. GM as points of view.

There is a tricky part in that players tend not to dive into theory and craft as much as GMs. I think Jerry hit it on the head. There is a lot more to being a GM, and so you wind up looking for advice.

But at the same time, the vast amount of advice that has ever existed winds up being more GM-centric, so it's hard to know if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But I like the idea of doing some player-centric MMP shows in the future.
Rolistespod

Post by Rolistespod »

dnaphil wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 am There is a tricky part in that players tend not to dive into theory and craft as much as GMs. I think Jerry hit it on the head. There is a lot more to being a GM, and so you wind up looking for advice.

But at the same time, the vast amount of advice that has ever existed winds up being more GM-centric, so it's hard to know if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I guess it's a little bit of both.

Like when people say about non-dnd podcasts "Why do you bother. Only DnD content is popular" and one replies "well maybe if there was more non-dnd quality content..."

Any similarities between the above and what I try to produce would be be pure coincidence :?
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

I don't think there is ever enough GM info, and there defiantly not enough Player info.

Produce all you want. ;)
cubano

Post by cubano »

I don't know how to approach this topic from two sides, but I'd love to hear you talk about it.

How to have fun during a game as the GM?

One often has to GM because there is nobody else who will do it. PCs are the ones who get loot, mates and to kill GM NPCs. GM has to spend time (short or long) preparing while players come and want to have fun. How do I have fun in it because ultimately PCs are there to kill, pillage and destroy everything I invent.
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

We are on it...I think we can cover that topic.
cubano

Post by cubano »

Another interesting topic but I'm not sure if for PTG or for MMP is "Pacing".

What is it and how to do it? Are there some pacing mechanics? Also how is pacing of combat different than pacing of a story?
HP are sometimes gives as example of pacing for how long combat will take, while other refer to them as attrition mechanics? How are HP in Dungeon World different than in D&D as a pacing mechanic?

Return to “Panda's Talking Games”