New Topic Ideas

Phil and Senda answer your questions about RPGs from two different perspectives — with some panda silliness!
ABomb

New Topic Ideas

Post by ABomb »

I just wanted to create a topic where we all can post idea's for show topics. If you have a show topic drop it here. :D
ABomb

Re: New Topic Ideas

Post by ABomb »

Here is an question / topic for you :

With Con season in full swing and GEN CON going on got me thinking could I run a game someday. I have been following your podcast from the very beginning and have found it very informative. So I came up with a few questions for both of you and I wanted to get your thoughts.
  • What advice would you give a new GM that wants run their first game (D&D, GURPS, D20 Modern, etc)?
  • Would a One Shot be better or try to run a small Campaign?
  • Would it be a good idea to have a Co-GM working with you as "training wheels" to help out?
  • How easy "Hand wave" or hard "Rules Lawyer" should you make the session?
Keep up the great work, I love the show and good luck at the Ennies!!! Still looking forward to hearing the creation of "The Old Game (Ep. 100)". :D Love the new Forms, I like it better than Facebook :lol:

Aaron
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

Thank you. I suspect that you will see this come up in an episode soon enough.
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

I don't remember if this has been a topic yet. (I get our conversations confused with the podcasts you do sometimes.)

How to get players of Mainstream Games to play Indie Games?

In sort of the same vein, how to get players to play outside of their comfort zone?

How to get Waveform Theater back?
pksullivan

Post by pksullivan »

Inverse of Jerry's question: How do you get indie gamers to try mainstream games?
Emmett

Post by Emmett »

Hmm, One of the tricks to suggesting a topic is the fear that you might ask for something that's already been covered. I've listened to all the episodes but my memory is no longer as reliable as it once was. I read through the episode titles but many are cleverly named so I can't quite tell if this has been covered.

How do you read the table? In a home group and in a con game. I have my ad hoc methods but being autistic, I have to do them manually and I can miss things while juggling all the other responsibilities. Are there tricks to do a better job?
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

Oh PK...that is such a good topic.

How do you get Indie gamers to play more traditional games?

I am going to be working on this idea...

dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

Emmett wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:30 am Hmm, One of the tricks to suggesting a topic is the fear that you might ask for something that's already been covered. I've listened to all the episodes but my memory is no longer as reliable as it once was. I read through the episode titles but many are cleverly named so I can't quite tell if this has been covered.
Don't worry about asking for something we have done before. Honestly, I hardly remember if we have done topics before, so I always do a search through the episode catalog and my archive of show notes to look.

But also, if a topic is from year 1 (episodes 1-50) then I am ok revisiting it. Not everyone has binged the catalog. Also, in two years, our outlook on things have evolved.
Emmett wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:30 am How do you read the table? In a homegroup and in a con game. I have my ad hoc methods but being autistic, I have to do them manually and I can miss things while juggling all the other responsibilities. Are there tricks to do a better job?
My quick answer on this (also the father of two Autistic children), is that if reading the table is difficult, then just ask more. Make asking between scenes something that you work into your GMing style. A simple check-in, of "how are things going?" or "is everyone having fun?" will let you take the temperature of the table, as you are changing scenes.
Emmett

Post by Emmett »

Cool, I could see that working, I think my fear is breaking immersion with that but I'll try it.
CSStrat

Post by CSStrat »

I would love to hear ideas on how to add mechanisms for drama and/or bonds to osr or traditional games. My group’s mindset is very locked in to traditional games making it difficult to go the indie route. But if I could add some indie flair to the trad game maybe I could change some minds. Or at least increase the level of inter-character relationship drama in the games we play.

Return to “Panda's Talking Games”