Advice on PbtA Flashback scene framing

Questions and advice about gaming and groups
LSpangler

Advice on PbtA Flashback scene framing

Post by LSpangler »

I’d like to frame a flashback scene to flesh out a bond between two characters in a Star Wars World game I'm running.

One character, Whomp Quince, is a twilek brain gearhead in a spider droid body that doesn’t remember his life as a twilek.

The other is a rodian scoundrel pilot, Bozz Debrill, who we established knew Whomp before he chose to become a monk and put his brain in the droid and why he made that choice… But we’ve left it to be fleshed out later.

I love framing flash backs that the players and myself turn into scenes relevant to the current story, but I’m a bit stumped on how to handle this one.

I had an idea to frame scene where the two are in a starship race but am unsure how to guide to some sort of revelation about Whomps past.

Do I just ask leading questions and create a montage with them based on the answers?

Do a create some sort of custom move for the race that result in choices that guide their narration?

Or something better that I haven’t thought of?
chrismmp

Re: Advice on PbtA Flashback scene framing

Post by chrismmp »

You could have Bozz make a soft move against Whomp which triggers Whomps flashback where you can ask a bunch of leading questions to have the flash back scene which then leads to Whomp having an issue piloting the ship during the race. Whatever the defy danger is for Star Wars world. You can rinse and repeat that idea as many times as you want to keep letting whomp reveal parts of his past. I would suggest no more than 3 to get the story out interspersed during the race while dealing with the issues of the race.

That would be my suggestion. It sounds like this is an important beat in the story and that kind of framing would give it some weight in the story and to the current situation.
LSpangler

Re: Advice on PbtA Flashback scene framing

Post by LSpangler »

Awesome! Thanks, Chris!

Return to “Running and Playing Games”