Psychic Game in Vilna Alberta (Hodgepocalypse)

Questions and advice about gaming and groups
shades of eternity

Psychic Game in Vilna Alberta (Hodgepocalypse)

Post by shades of eternity »

Not sure if this goes here, but feel to move it as needed:

Starting a thread for brainstorming purposes and to get ideas and plot for next Sunday.

First a bit of background.

The game is the Hodgepocalypse (my post-post-apocalyptic game with magic created with the 5e system and my own crazed imagination) that currently takes place in central Alberta.

The party is all psychic. cat psychic warrior, garter folk pyrokinetic, harvester mastermind, little bear rocker. we're testing our psychic rules (feel free to ask questions and I'm more than happy to send a complimentary copy of the material)

They have traveled from the great Mall (a dystopian mall run by a crazed AI) to return a gremlin to its people in Vilna, Alberta.

This tweet has a map of Vilna. The weather will be what it is upcoming Sunday. Monday: -8 degrees Celcius / 17 degrees Fahrenheit with plenty of snow from the last week (what are the 5e environmental rules for this again?).

https://twitter.com/drevrpg/status/1356197366789926918

The town is in a bio-organic mushroom forest. The link is for 3e, but it should give a general idea:

https://www.hodgepocalypse.com/2015/06/ ... hroom.html

The big bad for the game is the Pencil Pushers, a secret organization created by the survivors of CSIS/Revenue Canada. Most agents are psychic. They have kidnapped most of the gremlin folk from Vilna. Still trying to figure out why, but their organization is obsessed with the anti-revelations equation (a magical incantation powered by math to turn the world back to the way it was) and somehow the gremlin's can be a power source for it.

What I mainly need is post-apocalyptic encounter ideas in each building on the map as well as any overhead maps for d20 (I got a few, but always curious what other people come up with.

I already know there is a Boreal Tiger in the area (take the standard tiger, make it so it has a psychic invisibility cloak and a bad attitude towards the party to give the game a bit of the Movie Predator vibe).

Open to any and all suggestions...ty kindly. :)

#dungeonsanddragons #dnd #dnd5e #apocalypse #drevrpg
jtevans

Re: Psychic Game in Vilna Alberta (Hodgepocalypse)

Post by jtevans »

Your description and backstory have spurred a few ideas for me:

A mushroom cluster is ejecting spores that that cause psychics to experience strange/unusual powers. These can be powers that exist within your framework, but ones that the particular character/monster doesn't normally have. Here's the catch: The character/monster can't control the new power. Perhaps the uncontrolled power replaces a power they normally have until cured or a timer runs out. The character's need to find and eliminate (or harvest? contain?) the rogue mushroom cluster. Someone (an alchemist or some such) has intentionally genetically modified these mushrooms as part of an experiment for <insert reason here> that goes counter to what the party is trying to accomplish. This will set up the alchemist as a Bad Guy for the party during this (and maybe future) adventures.

I love owlbears. One of my favorite monsters. What if you have them encounter a nest of infant owlbears that have psychic abilities that are new to the species. The mother needs help controlling and raising the infant owlbears, but she doesn't know how to deal with the psychic abilities. Perhaps a mental communication thing between the mother and a PC can be set up. Don't use the owlbear mother as a monster to kill, but as a hook to somehow come into the nest area to train/raise/control the infant owlbears.

I had another idea, but while I typed up the two above, it left my brain for safer places.
--
J.T. Evans
https://jtevans.net/
shades of eternity

Mushrooms as psychic catalysts...yoink. :)

and a nursery of critters that have become psychic and are inherently cute. I can work with this. :D
shades of eternity

the vilna game went well enough, but man, the cr feels kinda weak for medium . will have to jack it up.

here is the link.
https://www.hodgepocalypse.com/2021/02/ ... art-3.html

Return to “Running and Playing Games”