Releasing Games - how much hype?

Questions and advice about getting your games to market
shades of eternity

Releasing Games - how much hype?

Post by shades of eternity »

Man question

I got a product ready to go, but I'm unsure how much hype and leeway time you need to get the word out before you officially release it to the public.

What's a good amount of time before you pop it up on onebooks?

Any particular days, or months improve your chances to get better results?
chrismmp

Re: Releasing Games - how much hype?

Post by chrismmp »

What kind of product is it?
Also, have you let the audience know?
Did you put out any kind of samples if applicable?
There’s a bunch of marketing stuff you can do to get that visibility. Also, what’s your plan once it’s out?
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

Have you looked at hitting a few conventions (big or small) to demo the game and get some pre-sale word of mouth started?

Maybe look at playtesting it on a few podcasts?
shades of eternity

chrismmp wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:28 pmWhat kind of product is it?
It's a revision of 5e that I've been promoting for years for a post-post apocalyptic environment.

My elevator speech is best described by the following pic

chrismmp wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:28 pmAlso, have you let the audience know?
I have let my audience know it was coming sometime in december, just haven't placed a date yet.
chrismmp wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:28 pmDid you put out any kind of samples if applicable?
I've been placing ideas and concepts for years on www.drevrpg.com

Included are the original d20 version and expanded material, let's play played on twitch tv, as well as 5e material that is essentially dlc.
chrismmp wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:28 pmThere’s a bunch of marketing stuff you can do to get that visibility. Also, what’s your plan once it’s out?
My plan is to essentially poke gaming podcasts, gaming forums and offer a free copy for play and critique.

I have several modules already done to distribute for a taste of the experience to hopefully enjoy and give reviews/pass the message.
GMGERRYMANDER wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:46 pm Have you looked at hitting a few conventions (big or small) to demo the game and get some pre-sale word of mouth started?

Maybe look at playtesting it on a few podcasts?
I have played a couple of games at our local convention (intriguecon, I'm stuck in edmonton alberta canada), and intend to run a few online convention such as 1d4 con, but probably not going too far. It's just not cost effective and I just started a new day job.

I do have packets for people to send out for gm's.

I mainly am doing this to get it off my bucket list, but I'd love for it to lead somewhere.
chrismmp

Post by chrismmp »

You’ve done the work. Now you just release and let everyone know it’s out there you can.
shades of eternity

Sometimes a project needs a boot to get going and this is what I needed to hear.

I'll pop the shameless promotion in the next day or so and start the process of getting this instrument of OCD completed.

Ty kindly. :)

Return to “Designing and Publishing Games”