What are you reading?

greyauthor

Re: What are you reading?

Post by greyauthor »

I'm reading the sequel to my wife's next book. It's great being married to an author, because you can read books before they come out!

The first of the series is coming out next month and is basically Omen, but if the devil was a girl coming of age in 1980s Los Angeles.

https://www.amazon.com/Diabhal-Book-1-K ... 1684423198
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."
-The Beatles

http://www.christopher.world
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

Growing up in the 80s, I think I might know that girl....
greyauthor

Post by greyauthor »

Let's hope you were on her good side...
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."
-The Beatles

http://www.christopher.world
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

I was an asshole with a chip on my shoulder and a general hatred for the world, except for my RPG Friends, back in the 80s.

I doubt I was on her good side....

But I'm much better now.
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

Finished up The Fifth Season and then tore through Jade City. Loved both of them.

Starting on Emily Wilson's translation of The Odyssey now.
pksullivan

Post by pksullivan »

I've finished up the Dinocalypse trilogy and King Khan. There was quite a shift in voice between authors in the Dinocalypse stories as Carrie Harris took over for the third book. I'm glad she didn't try to mimic Chuck Wendig's style; that wouldn't have worked. I enjoyed the trilogy quite a lot. King Khan a bit less so. Harry Connelly didn't quite nail Professor Khan's character the way that Chuck, Carrie, and Stephen did (Stephen Blackmoore wrote Khan of Mars) and the supporting cast of new characters didn't grab my attention as much.

Next up is Stone's Throe by C.E. Murphy, which is starting a bit slow as it follows Amelia Stone as a young girl in war-torn Paris.
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

Finished up Emily Wilson's translation of The Odyssey, which was amazing. I started taking notes before I was done with the introduction.

After that, I listened to the audiobook of The Kalevala. After Emily Wilson's awesome introduction to her translation, I kind of missed the preamble or the framing with this one, as it literally just jumps into the translation without commentary.

Then I rounded out my divine dive by listening to the audiobook of Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology.
pksullivan

Post by pksullivan »

Fired up Jade City by Fonda Lee and it is excellent so far. Very taut and tense in a densely imagined and realized Asian-inspired fantasy setting. I unfairly keep mentally comparing it to The Godfather. It's doing its own thing brilliantly but it's a story of a crime family during a transfer of power, with siblings who are involved to various degrees, and an impending war with a rival crime family that is getting into the drug trade. Jade City is cleverly remixing the characters from The Godfather. The role of Michael - the thinker, the heir, the one who got out but is being pulled back in - is split between the Lan, the head of No Peak clan, and his sister Shae. This is really good and I highly recommend it to people who like mafia stories, urban fantasy, wuxia, and Asian fantasy.
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

It really is a good read. I'm looking forward to the next book, but I'm also trying to thin out my backlog of audiobooks.
zircher

Post by zircher »

Bombing Europe (research) and Great Inventions (I like casual history.)

Return to “Books”