S6E7 - Rascals

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: The Next Generation and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S6E7 - Rascals

Post by dnaphil »

I selected this episode because it is a fun story.

This episode falls into the Transporter Accident trope. It also has the ship being taken over, as well as an elaborate plan to overthrow the captors. The kids who are cast for the de-aged bridge crew are fantastic.

The highlight of the episode is young Picard's tantrum. "I want to see my Daddy!"
Jared Rascher

Re: S6E7 - Rascals

Post by Jared Rascher »

David Birkin, who played de-aged Picard in this episode, also played Rene Picard in Family, so that's kind of cool.

I loved this one. I appreciate the insights into Ro's character, and the consistency of Guynan's character.

Alexander was also utilized well in this episode.

I also loved the very subtle moment when Picard touches his head as soon as he leaves the transporter once he has been restored, checking on the state of his hair.
GMGERRYMANDER

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

Good episode.

I wonder if Picard gives Alexander accolades in front of Worf so that the father can be proud of his son's bravery and skill. I can see that being important for both of them.

Also "Picard has to rely on children to save the situation" is a trope? (And not a bad one).

It would have been cool to see Alexander (who apparently has trained with his dad's holodeck program) go all Klingon Warrior on one of the Ferengi. Not kill him just incapacitate him.
RobAbrazado
Site Admin

Post by RobAbrazado »

Jared Rascher wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:52 pm David Birkin, who played de-aged Picard in this episode, also played Rene Picard in Family, so that's kind of cool.
For those keeping track, this was the casting bit I was talking about in the discussion about "Family." I was so blown away by the genius of this casting choice when I learned of it. Well done, behind-the-scenes folks! :) But even beyond that, I too was impressed with the casting of all the younger versions, particularly Guinan. Great stuff.

Other than that, though, I'm not super into this episode, as to me it's mainly just hijinks. That said, though it is one hundred percent worth it for me just for that scene between Riker and Young Picard in front of the Ferengi. Cracks me up every time! :lol:
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
Support Misdirected Mark Productions on Patreon!

Return to “Star Trek: The Next Generation Watch Club”