S4E5 - Rejoined

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and join for weekly watch parties!
dnaphil

S4E5 - Rejoined

Post by dnaphil »

I selected this episode because it is an amazing Dax story and of the LGBTQA stories in the series.

From a historical point, the Dax kiss in this episode was one of the first of its kind in TV, and made a bit of a stir back in the 90's. Check out the Wikipedia article about the episode for details.

This story on the surface is about Trill customs but was a metaphor for Queerness and queer relationships.

We see Dax and Kahn reunited, having been a hetero couple in their past lives, before in past lives. The Trill have a custom for former lovers not to fall in love again, as to avoid symbiotes just living insular immortal lives. As it goes for Trills, it's a really good custom and it makes good sense for their culture. It also sets high stakes as rejoined symboites are not allowed to be passed on to other hosts bringing the end of those lines.

It also now creates a taboo in the story, much as queerness was felt in the early 90s, for me (honestly a lot of my feelings about this episode are intertwined with my own coming out that happened at the same time). Then when Dax and Kahn start to talk, we see that there is a connection. This then becomes very much a queer love arc, where the tensions of their attraction are pitted against societal pressure. All of that climaxes when Dax and Kahn kiss.

For a 90s TV show, this could have been pretty badly bungled, but this episode makes the attraction and tension feel reel, and that kiss feels genuine.

In the end, Kahn gives into the societal pressure and leaves a heartbroken Dax standing on the promenade crying.

One of the things, as a queer person, I love about this episode is that there is no talk about or problem with that Dax and Kahn are women and are attracted to one another. The only issue is that its a re-joining. That was refreshing to see that and made it feel like in Trek that this was normalized, even if 90's TV execs would not allow it to be shown enough.

Also, I feel like this is Trek's re-take on TNG's The Host, which introduces the Trill and sets up this problem where Crusher cannot bring herself to be in a relationship with her former lover, Odan, now that he is in a female body.
GMGERRYMANDER

Re: S4E5 - Rejoined

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

An amazing Episode. Shows a lighter side of Dax that we haven't seen much of.

Plus, Julian and Dax the Magicians.

And pretty deep. I liked it.
RobAbrazado
Site Admin

Post by RobAbrazado »

I in no way want to detract from the powerful queer energy of this episode, which I appreciate greatly, but also I don't want to forget this intensely Worf moment.
[At a fancy reception.]

Kira: What do Klingons dream about?

Worf: Things that would send cold chills down your spine. And wake you in the middle of the night. No...it is better that you do not know. [brightly] Excuse me. [walks off]
I love him so much.
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
Support Misdirected Mark Productions on Patreon!
RobAbrazado
Site Admin

Post by RobAbrazado »

Okay...just one more departure from the seriousness of this episode for like a half-second of screen time that I thought was so funny that I had to screenshot it. This is early in the episode, at the same reception I referenced earlier with the Worf moment. This time, we're at the food table, and Jadzia and Lenara are having their first (I guess?) semi-private encounter since Lenara came on board. Lenara has just informed Jadzia that the whole room is watching them, and then the camera cuts to show a bunch of people at the party furtively glancing in their direction. Furtively...with one notable exception...

LOOK AT JULIAN'S SHAMELESS ASS. :lol: Not only did my boy pull up a whole goddamn chair to watch the show, but he's not even pretending to be talking to anyone else! My dude is just stone cold having himself a drink and watching the two Trill reunite. What a fuckboi. ❤️
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
Support Misdirected Mark Productions on Patreon!
dnaphil

Post by dnaphil »

I feel like if this show was remade today, Julian would be such a great character. The writers could have written him gay, he and Garek could have hooked up, and he could just go from show to show being his brilliant queer self.

Return to “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Watch Club”