S4E11 Data's Day

Watch along and discuss a curated selection of episodes from Star Trek: The Next Generation and join for weekly watch parties!
GMGERRYMANDER

S4E11 Data's Day

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

OK,

How is Data "Father of the Bride"?

I like the Barber. Does he show up again?

Some great insight into Data. Geordi: "Just don't try it on the captain" Data-without hesitation: "No"

When did Data get Spot? (And why is that not a must watch episode? LOL)

OMG! The grin during the dance lessons. (Though I believe that there may have been a dance double during some of the tap...)

And they loaded the Torpedo Tubes BEFORE they got into battle! Huzzah.

Looks like the Romulans are a major villain this season?

IT was fun watching a "slice of life" episode.
dnaphil

Re: S4E11 Data's Day

Post by dnaphil »

This episode was selected for a few reasons.
First, it introduces Keiko O'Brien. She will show up over and over in both TNG and later in DS9.
Second, it introduces Spot, Data's cat, who will also show up in several more episodes as well as in the movies.
Lastly, it is a great Data episode, giving you insight into the life of Data as he talked to Dr. Maddox (from The Measure of a Man).

I like this, slice of life, episode.
There is a secondary plot about the ambassador, but the focus of this episode is Data navigating his way through life and dealing with human relationships.

For Jerry:
Mot, the Bolian Barber, will make a few more minor appearances in the show.
This episode is the first time we see Spot. We never see when Data got him, but this is the first time we see him in his quarters.
JimLikesGames

Post by JimLikesGames »

Solid episode, one of those ones where the SF is just there, nicely integrated into the background, and more evidence that Brent Spiner is actually the creamy moral center of this entire confection.
Jim Crocker
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

I like how they worked Gates McFadden's dance work into this episode. It's also amusing that Data has an easier time tap dancing than slow dancing.

Don't flirt with junior officers, Will!

Actual Romulans instead of just comments about Romulans. Of course, Romulans being mysterious for a while lines up with the original series. We also get to see how big Warbirds are. During the Modiphius "Day of Honor" event, the TV series designer was discussing how anytime something was designed to be as big or bigger than a Galaxy-class, it was meant to be a big deal.

I also liked that Data's investigation just pointed Crusher in a direction, but Crusher got to be the one that used her expertise to determine the possibilities. Almost like Data was assisting Beverly's roll. :D

Return to “Star Trek: The Next Generation Watch Club”