Need Recommendations: Bachelor Party One-Shot

Questions and advice about gaming and groups
OldSchoolDM

Need Recommendations: Bachelor Party One-Shot

Post by OldSchoolDM »

I’ve been asked by one of my long-time players to run a one-shot for his bachelor party. It will be in 10 days.

I’ll be running D&D 5e, but that doesn’t really matter, as I can adapt anything to the system - so it’s not really a constraint. Though the fantasy tropes should be D&D-ish - no westerns, no modern, etc. (Well, I maybe a little bit, if its cool and fun.)

There will likely be quite a few players, and mixed genders. They will all be adults about
20-30 years of age.

I need to be able available for download/purchase online.

Play will be 4-6 hours and I’ll likely use/generate pregens for speed.

Ok, that’s enough constraints - any suggestions? Adult themes are OK, but should meet modern taste standards…

Thanks!
...Papercraft terrain is my Minecraft...
GMGERRYMANDER

Re: Need Recommendations: Bachelor Party One-Shot

Post by GMGERRYMANDER »

I have several suggestions, but define "quite a few players"

Most one shots don't work well with more than 6 players.

The Secret of Sokol Keep is a fun adventure (and was part of the original DD5E PRlease at Gen Con). You'll need to bump up an encounter or two for 6 players (just add an extra skeleton or ghoul) and I'd suggest making an index card of important NPCs, because it's an exploration adventure. But you also get to talk to a ghost,explore a small (4-6 room) ancient site, and fight against the minions of Dagon. (IF you run that one and want some advice, drop me a line gmgerrymander@gmail.com - I ran it 4 times at Gen Con and then three times more afterwards, so I've modified it for all of the adventures.)

Silent Tide for Pathfinder 1E is an amazing adventure. City exploration with a starting brawl, followed by a deep mystery, a meeting with the king of theives, puzzle solving that can be done by actual Player knowlesde or some dice rolls if they don;t know what to do (always a good option for puzzles), a battle vs minons in a temple with chains to climb on and swing on, along with a giant organ you ahve to play by jumping on notes during the battle ( like Tom Hanks in Big) and an opportunity for the heroes to get a free dog by being kind to animals...

Into the Haunted Forest (again for Pathfinder 1E) is one of the best starter adventures I've ever seen. I've run it in PF, DD5e, BoL, Savage Worlds, and even B/X. Heroesget involved in a barroom brawl and end up dealing with a corrupt sherrif, an ancient legend, a rival group of adventurers and a bunch of minor artiifacts. Along the way, they can befriend a witch, solve a locked room mystery, negotiate with a Neriad, and fight an ancient guardian. If they win, they get a bunch of very minor, but unique artifacts. (Again, I have notes on this one to flesh it out.)

IF you want something more horror related, Test Drive for Savage Worlds is designed to be slotted into any setting. A bunch of strangers on a carriage or boat end up stranded in a small town as the sun goes down. Zombies, paranoid residents, and a spurned undead lover abound. (I've done this for modern, fantasy, Old west, and even in Star Wars...I replaced the zombies with battle droids. "Through the darkness, you see movement, Red, glowing eyes appear, slowly moving towards you. Over the howl of the rain, you hear the same words over and over again. Roger. Roger.")

All four of these should be readily available as PDF for a few bucks and all run in 4-6 hours dependisng on how much time you want to spend.
OldSchoolDM

Re: Need Recommendations: Bachelor Party One-Shot

Post by OldSchoolDM »

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

...Papercraft terrain is my Minecraft...

Return to “Running and Playing Games”