Week 3 Journal Entries

Delta Quadrant Logs - Journaling game for our Voyager watch through. To play with us, set up your character info here: https://docs.google.com/forms/u/0/d/e/1 ... rmResponse
Senda

Week 3 Journal Entries

Post by Senda »

You know the drill! Post your name and the episode so folks can avoid spoilers.
Need help with the Forums? Hit up the Questions and Feedback board!
AndiFox

Re: Week 3 Journal Entries

Post by AndiFox »

Ensign Zetra "Z" Vahino, S2E1 "The 37's"

Chell and I had a very serious but brief conversation today. At 1400 the Captain made a ship-wide announcement that anyone wanting to stay at the human settlement we toured earlier could stay. We had an hour to decide and get to the cargo bay at 1500. I was off-duty. Chell was on, so I went to him. We looked at each other and both said “No” at the same time. “I don’t think I could live in a human-only settlement for the rest of my life,” I told him. “I can’t imagine not seeing my family again,” he said to me. We fist-bumped in understanding. I thought for sure there were some crew folx who would stay. It could be tempting for those who could consider such a place ‘home.’ But no one on the crew chose to stay.
Maybe that old human proverb “the devil that you know is better than the devil that you don’t” comes into play here. We don’t know what’s out there on our voyage home, but we know Voyager. It’s been long enough that there’s a sense of routine. I don’t want to call it normalcy because I don’t know if things will ever feel “normal” again. But staying at a settlement like that is full on unknowns. Would you ever really be considered a member of the society? What would you do? How much history do you actually share? For me the answer is none. Sure, I know some Earth history but it’s not my history. That’s one of the reasons I’m really glad there are other Bolians on board. Not that people get along just because they’re the same species, but there’s something really important about a shared cultural experience. Many of us share the culture of StarFleet. But sharing a home planet, a history, a story with others is helping me.
Sometimes I go to the HoloDeck and sit on the Cliffs of Bole. I never got to go there while I lived on Bolarus, so it feels like home without causing any deeper feelings. I struggle with the ‘why’ of what’s happening to us. I wish we had a counselor on board. Not that I’ve gone to a counselor voluntarily ever but I think I would now. I had such plans for my future. Now I don’t know what to do with myself during my off-duty hours. Sure I’ve romanced a few folx and spent some time getting to know other crew members. I’m realizing these are the only people I’m going to know for the rest of my life, probably, so I’ve slowed down on the conquests.
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

Personal Log: Ensigh Talum

Stardate: Post-The 37s

We found evidence of human civilization way out here in the Delta Quadrant. Aliens apparently decided to travel all the way from the Detla Quadrant to abduct humans to use as forced labor, and for some reason didn't pick up anyone else along the way. All of our human crew members are really fixated on one of the women that was in statsis, apparently an important pioneer in aviation? Captain Janeway is pretty excited when she talks to her. There was one conversation that got so intense I had to look around to make sure nobody had a horga'hn sitting out.

The captain told us that if anyone wanted to stay on the planet, and join with the civilization of human descendants on the planet, we were allowed to do so. I was worried that some of the people that I was starting to warm up to would make the decision to stay. I don't know how drawn to having a stable home my fellow science officers are. When we had the opportunity to visit the main city, I wanted to go. I wasn't tempted to stay, but I did feel like we had lost focus on how and why the aliens had visited Earth.

Given that they species traveled a long way, and only cultivated one species, that indicated to me that this must have been some kind of quantum tunnel technology. We've already encountered mass space folding technology, so I wouldn't have been surprised. Unfortunately, there was not real evidence of this in what the humans had managed to scavenge from their ancient abductors. Maybe sometime in the future we'll run into more of this space folding technology. If nothing else, I feel confident that this might be an indication that space folding is a native technology to some species here in this quadrant.

We passed the deadline on who was or wasn't going to settle on the planet. No one decided to leave, and I was glad that Jenny and Megan Delany stayed on the ship. I can't say that I'm overly social. I wouldn't even say we are friends. But I'm comfortable talking with them now, and it's kind of peaceful hearing them having conversations from time to time, especially knowing they don't mind if I interject my thoughts. I don't know about anyone else, but as much as I want to get home, as a goal, as much as I miss Ekon, this ship is probably the most "at home" I've ever felt.
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

Personal Log: Ensigh Talum

Stardate: Cold Fire

It's been 10 months since we've been in the Delta Quadrant. I'm not good with relationship details, and a lot of Risians are good at picking up where they left off, even as they start new relationships, but that's not always the way humans work. Is 10 months too long to expect Ekon to still be waiting? What would it mean if he moved on? Could I continue with Ekon if he had moved on with someone else. Would I need to feel connected to them to continue with him? For something that was so larval in it's inception, this relationship twists my stomach, a lot.

The crew had another moment of getting excited, only to be a bit let down. Remember when I was talking about space folding technology being found in this quadrant? We found a smaller array, similar to the one that brought us here. I'll have to ask Samantha Wildman about any species details she received for her analysis. Apparently the array that we found contains the mate of the Caretaker that we encounters, as well as more Okampan . . . servants? Employees?

There was some kind of trouble with Kes. She seems pretty shaken by the last few days worth of events, but that's mainly what I can glean from rumors flying around the ship. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have gathered a whole lot of data from the array itself, so not much more "space folding" or "subspace tunneling" theories to work on at the moment.
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

Personal Log: Ensign Talum

Stardate: Post Maneuvers

I don't have much to say about what happened with Seska and the Kazon. I don't like this running grudge match we seem to have with the Kazon, and it's even worse since Seska knows so much about Voyager. Having a shuttlecraft lodged into the ship and not being able to go to warp is pretty stressful. Having a mob of ships surrounding us was pretty stressful.

On the other hand, I get to analyze the procedure outlined by Lt. Torres to use transporters at warp. I vaguely remember reading some notes from Montgomery Scott back in the day about revolving paradigm variables and warp speed transporter use, but I didn't spend too much time look at it, because it all looked theoretical. Especially once he started meandering about using subspace transponders for booking long-range transporting, which obviously wouldn't work unless you could keep pattern integrity while the pattern passes through each node, which is almost impossible after one node, not to mention the multiples it would take to boost a signal across the quadrant.

I feel extremely bad for Commander Chakotay. Is it already to feel bad for command personnel? Does it weaken their position? Regardless, having someone announce that they had violated your bodily autonomy over a publicly transmitted message to the crew of your ship, and then explaining that the violation was going to be use to generate a child without your input . . . has to be rough. I didn't have many feelings about Seska when she was on the crew, but the longer she has been away, the more I'm really not liking the woman.
Jared Rascher

Post by Jared Rascher »

Personal Log: Ensign Talum

Stardate: Post Alliances

This Kazon situation just gets worse. Ironically, at this point, I think I miss the diplomatic corps more than anyone else in Starfleet.

I don't like that the Kazon are trying to kill us, or that they are trying to kill one another, but now that we have encountered the Trabe, and seen how casually they discount the personhood of the Kazon, I have a lot of sympathy for the Kazon. If the Federation had an actual presence in the Delta Quadrant, I feel like we might be able to make a difference with the Kazon and how they interact with one another, but it's so much for us to deal with when they see us as resources and some of them have personal reasons to hate us.

I do not like the Trabe. I have a feeling that the established powers in the Delta Quadrant are not people I'm comfortable with. Part of me is hoping we could just find some organization like the Federation. In fact, knowing what we know, I'd settle for someone more like the Romulans or the Klingons at this point, as long as we didn't encounter them by wandering into their territory unannounced.

Return to “Delta Quadrant Personal Logs”